Family Readiness Deployment Concerns
- Let family and friends know deployed mailing address.
- Know who to contact in an emergency.
- Discuss special occasions.
- Decide most economical means of communication.
- Renew driver licenses.
- Check ID cards: condition and expiration date.
- In cases of pregnancy, discuss transportation and child care options.
- FINANCIAL CONCERNS
- Dependent and split pay allotments.
- Discuss bill payments.
- Prepare budget.
- Discuss filing taxes.
- Discuss direct deposit accounts.
- How will you handle financial emergencies?
- Discuss location of documents.
- Marriage and birth certificates.
- Insurance policies.
- Tax returns.
- Shot records.
- Social Security cards.
- Automobile title/loan papers.
- Off-base residents: WHO, WHERE, WHEN, and AMOUNT to pay rent.
- How to buy yen and HOW MUCH yen to buy.
- Where to pay phone and utility bills.
- Where the lease and rental agreement is located.
- The housing agency name, number, and location.
- Emergency maintenance phone numbers.
- Know who to contact for appliance repairs.
- Ensure arrangements are made for move on base.
- On-base residents: Notify KAB housing for maintenance work.
- Know where self-help is located.
- Know how to change the filters.
- Know where fuse box is located.
- Know to contact PMO if locked out of quarters.
- Keep security, ambulance, and fire department numbers handy.
- During absence, ensure that your spouse is financially prepared to pay: JCI (Japanese Compulsory Insurance) American Insurance Japanese Road Tax (mandatory) due April-May.
- Location of title, insurance, and inspection papers.
- Auto maintenance: Current base sticker. Check oil, brake fluid, water in radiator, and battery. Change worn tires or add air.
- EXTRA KEYS!!!
- Update will.
- Establish Power of Attorney.
- Know location of all legal documents.
- Ensure papers are in safe, dry place.
- Prepare a Family Care Plan.