Colonel Michael R. Nakonieczny
Commanding Officer - 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit
Colonel Michael R. Nakonieczny attended the University of California at Davis and earned a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. He was commissioned in 1997 via the Platoon Leaders Course.
Colonel Nakonieczny’s command positions include:
- Platoon Commander, 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion (15th MEU)
- Company Commander, Weapons Company, 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion
- Company Commander, Company A, 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion (OIF II-2, 5-7)
- Company Commander, Light Armored Vehicle Training Company, SOI-W
- Commanding Officer, Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division
- Commanding Officer, 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division
Colonel Nakonieczny’s leadership and staff positions include:
- Executive Officer, Company H, Marine Security Guard Battalion
- Executive Officer, First Battalion, First Marines (13th MEU)
- Director, First Marine Division Schools
- Deputy Director, J3 Afghanistan, USSOCOM
- Director, Concepts and Plans, Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory
His personal decorations include the Joint Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal (Gold Star in lieu of fourth award), the Joint Service Commendation Medal, the Navy Commendation Medal (with valor device and Gold Star in lieu of second award), Navy Achievement Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon.
Colonel Nakonieczny graduated with honors from The Basic School and the U.S. Army Armor Captains Career Course. He is a Distinguished Graduate of the Marine Corps Command and Staff College and was the recipient of the Joint Service Planner award from the Marine Corps War College.